Sunday, July 4, 2010

Day 1 of Being Husbandless

Well, depending on whether yesterday counts (I said goodbye to him at 8 AM), this is either day 1 or day 2 of my first separation from my husband!

I realized today that I have never been a single adult in Houston. This is important, I think, because it means I have no idea what to do in my hometown without family or boyfriend/husband. On the other hand, I could totally rock this week of singleness in Boston. I would be down at the ocean eating cannoli instead of doing google searches about pregnancy pains.

So let's just cut me some slack and agree that Houston is not the best city for inspiring energetic single living. Particularly in summer.

So far, I've been doing pretty well, though, I think. I paced myself yesterday so that I didn't watch the movie we had rented until 9 PM (the later the better, because then I can go straight to sleep). I actually cooked an awesome Brazilian salmon soup for myself and didn't follow it with a bowl of ice cream. OK, I admit to putting on Omar's boxers and the teeshirt that smells like him to watch the movie and sleep, but you know...we've only been married for seven months...

This morning I went to church by myself and had a good time despite the church being quite empty. Then I visited Central Market to check out the July 4 scene and eat some samples. I bought some fruit while I was there because I have discovered that buying fruit is the ultimate consolation for loneliness. Since yesterday, I have acquired 8 peaches, 2 mangos, 1 pineapple, a box of strawberries, and one box of blueberries. Today I added another box of strawberries and 4 "plumcots."

Somebody told me that the nice thing about being pregnant is that you're never alone. I don't feel that occasional tapping in my uterus qualifies as companionship, though. That's especially true this week because David has been growing capillaries and spinal bones and hardly moving at all. I can talk to him, but he can't talk to me.

But truthfully, I am really looking forward to this week as a chance to do some of my own kinds of things I haven't done in awhile -- cooking new recipes, going on long walks, reading some good books, and hanging out with some friends I haven't seen a lot of lately. I just have to find a way to keep myself occupied in the evenings/nights when I am most likely to miss my best friend.

By the way, Omar is on a mission trip in the Dominican Republic :)

2 comments:

  1. Hi Joanna! I love the new blog -- it's great to keep up with your life from over here. Don't worry, Omar will be back soon. Remember how blessed you are to have him and David -- especially since we single people live like this every day :). Miss you! Stephanie :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes - you've got to get more protein!!! It almost sounds like you had a seizure - that must have been scary. I've added eggs already (just made deviled eggs today - yumm!), but it's hard for me to eat nuts, so I have been going for grilled chicken sandwiches from Wendy's. LOL They actually aren't that bad for you, even if they are fast food. I drink a ton of milk too. I want to see a picture of you preggers already! I bet you're just getting to look like me even though you're a month ahead of me. :)

    ReplyDelete